The Peloton ad has been generating quite a buzz for the company and for all the wrong reasons. The backlash on Twitter and other social media has been intense and swift. The company lost over $1.5 billion in value as shares took a nosedive.
Gender scholars have been working on this topic for a while and you can see their research here.
Dr. Susan Dobscha, Professor of Marketing at Bentley University, provides an ever-growing list on how to market to women. Add your thoughts and suggestion in the comments.
- Treat women as equals.
- Don’t show women as dumb blondes or dumb anything.
- Don’t show men as doofus dads either. It gives men social validity at being bad at domestic work and parenting. We can have two smart, caring parents.
- Show people of color, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, all body types, various people of abilities, and other intersectionalities.
- Fat women are not for your humor
- Show older women
- Support female athletes & female sports
- Ask yourself – does it pass the Bechdel test
- Support minorities
- Be aware of your privilege